Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver



Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: February1, 2011
Pages: 441
My Rating: 3.5/5
Misc.: First in Delirium trilogy

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Synopsis taken from goodreads.

My Review:
There was a lot of hype surrounding this book, which made me kind of hesitant to read it. But I'm glad I did. I'll admit though, the beginning was a bit slow and the world intimidated me. But I stuck with with it, and I'm glad.

Lauren Oliver created a terrifying world; a world without love. Not only does this mean that boys and girls under 18 who have not been "cured" of love are not allowed to have any contact with each other, but this also means that parents are not allowed to love their children, siblings are not allowed to feel anything but indifference to each other. A world like that would just be scary. So I kept reading because I wanted to see how things were going to play out in the world.

Though I liked the main characters of the book, I didn't really connect with Lena. I liked her, and I wanted things to work out for her, but that was it. However, I thought her best friend, Hana, was an amazing character. She actually has a distinct personality. Maybe even more than Lena. Hmm. So anyways, I thought the characters were okay. But I loved Lauren Oliver's writing. It was just beautiful. I think that's really what kept me reading until the end.

And the ending. Oh my, the ending. I can't say anything here because that would obviously be spoilery, but WOW. I need Pandemonium to come out sooner. I was awed and in shock for at least an hour. If not more.  The ending just made me love the book more and hate it at the same time, you know what I mean? Ahh. I can't wait for the sequel.


Also, have you guys seen the new cover? :

 Personally, I like this one better, and I'm glad the series is continuing with this style. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. This is on my list to read! I'm just not allowed to go shopping for books until I read some of the ones in my piles... :}
    Great review!! I'm really excited about it!
    Courtney
    Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending had the same effect on me! It was so quick and sudden after the beautiful build-up, and when it was over, I knew that I would have to go read the next book as soon as I could! :)

    Awesome review, Pepa! :) I like both of the covers for Delirium, but I think that the cover for Pandemonium is striking!

    ReplyDelete